Reputable and top ENR general contractor seeks a Project Manager for their Houston office to lead projects in their core markets: commercial, healthcare, higher ed, life sciences, corporate office, and high rise. Strong candidates will have exhibited longer tenures, and their backgrounds should be consistent with commercial-type general construction. Lots of room for long term advancement, especially for an upcoming go-getter with an entrepreneurial spirit and great communication skills. This is an exclusive search for a long term client. They will interview and move fast on the right candidate.
The Project Manager (level 1 or 2) will provide overall direction and leadership on moderately complex projects, or a portion of large construction projects. Must be able to lead a project of at least 5-20M in value.
- Location: Houston, Texas. Will assist with relocation from other geographical areas.
- Compensation: Salary dependent on experience. Benefits include: ESOP, Medical, 401K, Bonus Plan, Vehicle/Allowance.
- Career Path: Project Manager 1, Project Manager 2, Senior Project Manager, Project Executive, VP
KEY ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads all aspects of the company’s safety culture and creates awareness by demonstrating commitment to an injury-free environment through individual actions and mentoring others.
- Investigates safety incidents and retrains staff as needed.
- Supports the preconstruction team including quantity takeoff, trade coordination and scope of work development, scope review, bid package development, schedule development, bid list creation and bid advertisement.
- Leads plan and implementation of buyout schedule. Verifies pricing and scope, identifies successful bidders, provides gap analysis against initial scope and manages issuance of subcontracts.
- Manages the submittal schedule setup. Coordinates priorities with the team; reviews and approves all shop drawings and samples prior to submittal to architects or engineers.
- Ensures approved submittals are returned to subcontractors and available to project team per the project schedule and the contract.
- Coordinates with Logistics to obtain pricing on materials and equipment.
- Confers with risk management to ensure approval and/or bonding requirements for subcontractors. Reviews decisions with project leader. Provides ongoing risk analysis of subcontractors throughout project lifecycle.
- Coordinates the various stakeholders of the project including but not limited to subcontractors, owner, field, design team, vendors, etc.
- Disseminates change requests to subcontractors for pricing and schedule input. Gathers and evaluates subcontractor pricing to confirm accuracy.
- Prepares, submits and obtains owner/architect approval for change requests.
- Leads various meetings such as monthly project reviews, progress meetings and OAC (Owner Architect) meetings.
- Completes monthly subcontractor and owner pay application process.
- Prepares project schedule with the Project Superintendent. Gathers input from project team and utilizes Lean principles as appropriate. Develops and updates project schedule for both preconstruction and construction activities. Manages materials, labor and procurement logs to ensure appropriate resources are available to meet the project schedule.
- Identifies potential schedule impacts including scope, weather, manpower and changes, and facilitates mitigation plans for these impacts.
- Provides appropriate written documentation for decisions affecting various aspects of the project such as budget, schedule, legal, quality and/or safety. Employs current best practices for documentation requirements.
- Provides a variety of regular reporting and analysis to project team(s) to communicate overall project status and profitability.
- Prepares monthly cost and margin forecast with input from superintendent and reviews with the project team. Participates in the development of the project budget. Regularly reviews costs relative to the budget and highlights discrepancies to enable improved financial performance.
- Leads overall project closeout process using best practice standards, tools and processes such as the close-out punch list, financials, sub contracts, warranties, etc.
- Interfaces with region/company legal counsel as appropriate.
PROJECT MANAGER 2
In addition, the Project Manager 2 will be responsible for the following:
- Gains an understanding of the estimating process from conceptual phase through GMP development.
- Identifies, understands and actively manages project risks.
- Understands and manages project business plan in order to maximize financial success.
- Implements and manages components of the operation and administration of multiple or moderately complex construction projects.
- Utilizes awareness, experience and knowledge to identify problems and recommends solutions for review and implementation by the team.
- Manages deliverables provided by a variety of internal resources and functions such as IPS, logistics, self-perform, etc.
- Engages in business, industry and community activities to build and strengthen external relationships.
- Assumes responsibility for day-to-day financial management of assigned scope of responsibility by understanding the budget process, accurately forecasting and limiting month-to-month fluctuations.
- Maintains fiscal records and follows procedures to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Understands business plan and manages financial goals.
- Proactively monitors and interprets ongoing financial performance and responds appropriately.
- Makes operational decisions in light of broader financial goals and constraints.
- Inspires a sense of team in the work environment. Utilizes communication and conflict resolution skills to help foster teamwork and collaboration. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude, maintaining composure under pressure.
- Helps communicate and explain goals. Encourages and motivates team performance and productivity in support of the supervisor’s direction and leadership.
- Reviews scheduling and work assignments to assist supervisor with effective resource management.
- Provides on-the-job guidance and willingly shares subject matter expertise in order to support team member learning and development.
- Demonstrates willingness and ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally to obtain information or solve problems in support of the team’s goals.
- Demonstrates positive approaches to adapting to change. Supports corporate and work program and/or department change initiatives.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to perform work accurately and completely, and in a timely manner.
- Communication skills, verbal and written (Intermediate).
- Ability to conduct effective presentations.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Intermediate).
- Ability to apply fundamentals of the means and methods of construction management to projects.
- Thorough knowledge of project processes and how each supports the successful completion of a project.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate within a team, internally and externally.
- Proficiency in project management and accounting software (Advanced).
- Proficiency in required construction technology (Advanced).
- Proficiency in scheduling software (Advanced).
- Ability to apply Lean process and philosophy (Intermediate).
- Ability to manage budgets, maximize profitability and generate future work through building relationships.
- Ability to build relationships with team members that transcend a project.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering or related field (Preferred).
- In lieu of the above requirements, equivalent relevant experience will be considered.
- Project Manager 1: 5+ years construction management experience (Preferred).
- Project Manager 2: 8+ years construction management experience (Preferred).
CERTIFICATIONS & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Successful completion of company training and role-specific professional development coursework, within required timeframe (Required).
- Successful completion of OSHA 30 training, within required timeframe (Required).
- Successful completion and maintenance of First Aid Certification, CPR (Required).
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design AP (Accredited Professional) (Preferred).
- Current valid driver's license (Required).