What you'll do:
• Exercise a high degree of technical as well as leadership capability and experience in the development of space
based optical systems. Contribute to optical system development from initial business development activities
through final system test.
• Work with other engineers in a collaborative cross-disciplinary environment to develop and implement novel
state of the art and innovative optical systems for space based applications designed for science, defense,
intelligence, and commercial customers.
• Work with new business development to define top level optical system architectures, as well as performing
detailed optical design and analysis.
• Support Advanced Program development by writing and briefing proposals, responding to RFIs, writing white
papers, and participating in proposal reviews.
• Lead teams of engineers during optical sub-system development.
• Participate in and present at design reviews.
• Lead the procurement and validation of state of the art optical components.
• Will occasionally work hands-on with optical hardware, as well as performing analytical work and technology
and hardware development.
• Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units,
Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and
productive work environment.
• Perform other duties as necessary.
What you'll need:
• BS degree or higher in Optical Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years of
• An advanced degree in Optical Engineering or a related technical field is preferred.
• Proven technical and leadership experience.
• This position is for an experienced lead optical instrument engineer with a strong background in space based
optical systems from initial concept development through delivery. Experience in system requirements
development, architecture definition, design, assembly and integration, and characterization of completed
systems is required.
• Proven ability to define architecture for new payloads.
• Proven track record of detailed optical design skills. Proficiency in Code V, Zemax, or other optical design code.
• Proven track record in producibility of designs with cost, budget, and schedule constraints for self and others is
• Ability to develop relationships with key customer, program, and engineering personnel from Government and
• Proposal writing experience. Awareness of system-level issues and their impacts on system architectures is
necessary. New business development experience, including successful customer interaction.
• Knowledge of modeling tools and techniques to predict and budget optical system performance.
• Experience in instrument prototyping development and demonstration.
• Excellent presentation, writing, verbal and communication skills.
• Current Top Secret clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is