FIELD APPLICATION ENGINEER - INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION
Our client, an industry leader in factory automation products and solutions is seeking a Field Application Engineer II. Join a team of smart, dedicated, technical experts who are not only the best in their fields, but are committed to a tradition of technical leadership and innovation.
Under minimum supervision, the Field Application Engineer II will provide technical support for products and applications to key accounts and sales channel personnel. May also develop and/or deliver technical training to customers, distributors and company personnel on all company products.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Provide proactive pre-sale and post-sale technical support to key customers as assigned (Automotive), key distributors and sales personnel on all company products - on-site, via phone, email or via SI/OEM, as appropriate. Technical support includes, but is not limited to, these activities:
*Provide on-site application engineering and product consulting
* Maintain technical documents and documentation on products as assigned
* Develop technical/application notes where applicable, detailing start-up and usage procedures of new products
* Maintain current knowledge of new products and applications through self-study, hands-on testing of demo units and scheduled company training courses
* Use the technical support escalation process to deliver high customer satisfaction
* Establish work priorities through coordination and collaboration with the GKAM sales team, FESG Team Leader and FESG Regional Manager
* Work with and within teams with other engineers to provide support to OEM’s and Integrators who are involved at your assigned account(s).
* Perform reactive and/or billable service/project work to assigned customers as follows:
* Maintain good, real-time communications with assigned customers
* Document the problem, root cause and corrective actions
* Maintain flexibility with work hours to be available for certain tasks to be performed on off-hours and weekends (approximately 10 weekend assignments per year)
* Respond to requests for service (machine breakdowns) with telephone support and on-site support to deliver high customer satisfaction
* Provide technical and solution training to customers, distributors and company personnel on company products. Actively identify opportunities for custom training classes within your assigned key account(s).
* Serve on a rotating basis as telephone support engineer per the Technical Assistance Center schedule (approximately two weeks per year).
* Document support case data utilizing CRM.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
25-30% Travel for training and application support within North America, Europe and Japan.
* Experience with PLC, VFD, HMI, Servo, Control Networks and other industrial automation applications.
* Ability to develop and maintain in-depth, up-to-date technical knowledge, including the latest company products, and to serve as escalated technical resource (subject matter expert [SME]).
* Technical writing skills.
* Project management skills.
* Ability to operate effectively as part of a team.
* Customer service and phone skills.
* Professional, patient, positive, confident communication style and attitude.
* Ability to write and perform technical product and solution training for groups.
* Organization skills, i.e. for documents, demos, work area and time management.
* Must be able to work flexible hours.
* Local candidates only.
Beneficial Skills and Experience
* Strong background in PLCs, VFDs, HMIs, and networking, process control and IEC 1131 programming standards is preferred.
* Some experience with PC hardware and software required with specific experience in industrial applications is preferred.
* Ability to discuss and analyze customer application requirements on phone or in person.
* BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
* 3-5 years of application experience with industrial automation products.