Business Development/ Key Account Manager - St. Louis MO or Kansas City MO (Home office)
Our client is a leading provider of custom engineered instrument transformers built for high accuracy utility applications such as metering and protective relaying. The business is located near Charlotte, NC and is part of the North American T&D Group, a growth platform that is acquiring domestic transmission & distribution supply companies who serve electric utility and large industrial customers. Our client is in growth mode, having just invested in a new state of the art high voltage test field which will enable product line expansion.
Our client is looking for a Business Development/Key Manager, reporting to the Vice President, Sales & Marketing. The company goes to market through a network of well-established third party sales representatives as well as direct house accounts. This individual will focus on the management and support of the existing sales representative network, development of sales relationships with EPC’s and direct sales responsibility for key accounts. This is a high energy position requiring an individual to be extremely motivated and results-driven; it will also require someone who is equally comfortable working in a strategic and tactical capacity. A proven track record of success with the leading players in the channel and target clients, exemplary sales skills, territory planning/execution, vision and patience, are all critical factors to successfully support the exponential growth of the company anticipated over the coming years. The company's sales department is responsible for equipping its sales reps with marketing material and proposals (including all pricing and commercial/technical terms). In this context, the main responsibilities for this position will be:
- Developing, maintaining and sharing detailed knowledge of the customer's business strategy, purchasing behavior, organization, decision-makers, customer business drivers, economic trends and competition.
- Research and build relationships with new clients
- Prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business, particularly with EPC, A&E, and electrical equipment packaging companies
- Selling products/solutions/services to customers, focusing on volume, mix and profitability targets
- Proposal development (along with in-office sales coordinator)
- Work with senior management to clear exception issues (i.e. Large $$ quotations, special commercial terms, etc.) on specific quotations
- Prepare periodic reports on sales channel activity & performance; support the annual business planning process
- Manage the sales process with channel partners communicating annual objectives.
- Achieve key business goals and revenue quotas: manage partner quota negotiations and ensure minimum certification and performance levels are met
- Ensure partner and customer information is accurate in CRM and other systems
- Practice proactive partner management and team work, quickly and efficiently resolve conflicts
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred, MBA a plus.
- The preferred candidate will possess at least 7 years of electrical product sales experience.
- Strong channel background and experience in building and leveraging channel partners.
- Successful track record in account and channel partner management.
- 10-15 years selling electrical power equipment, preferably in transformer products including HV instrument or power transformers, both direct sales and through channel partners.
- Ability to build relationships and influence cross functionally, demonstrated experience in coordinating / leading executive level sales meetings and implementing annual business plans
- Great relationship skills, tenacity, resilience and inter-personal/presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and set priorities
- 50% to 60% travel – ability to plan ahead for effective, efficient and cost conscious results
- BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering is desired. Four year degrees in business or other scientific discipline will also be considered. An MBA or Master’s degree in engineering would be favorably noted.
The highly desirable candidate will:
- Be Enthusiastic, outgoing, and personable
- Be a natural learner…and leader by example
- A self-starter; able to operate on his/her own initiative with a strong results orientation
- Operate with the highest standards of integrity and ethics
- Be Entrepreneurial; able to thrive in a lean, small company environment
- Be a team player; secure operating with peers and superiors; respectful and appropriate working with direct reports and hourly workforce
- Be customer service oriented in everything they do
- Be focused on getting things done, doing things correctly, and making his/her work environment the best it can be.